Wednesday, April 8, 2009

MY JOURNEY

Just over two years ago I began in incredible journey.

Just over two years ago I wouldn’t have thought or imagined that I would be doing the type of work I’m doing today. Over two years ago when I was still high on drugs, had I told the guys that one day I was going to be a drug counselor working in our local community, they would have probably told me that, that was the drugs talking and that I was tripping and crazy from the drugs. The drug I was using, crystal methamphetamine, was making me mentally unstable and I was starting to hallucinate all the time.

I belonged to a notorious gang in the area and got caught up in all sorts of gang activities. I always thought people were out to kill me and felt I couldn’t trust anyone. It got so out of hand that one evening I wanted to stab my parents to death because I thought they were in this “big plot” to kill me. I thought they had ordered people to kill me and I basically wanted to make an example of them. In my mind I wanted to kill them to show the world that no one gets away with messing with me. It came to the point that I actually held my parents hostage for about four hours and all I could think about was killing them. I finally came to my senses and dropped the knife I had been threatening them with all evening. After this incident I realized that I needed serious help to prevent my hurting myself or the people around me.

It didn’t end there, though. I managed to stop for a while but I soon went back to my old habits and found myself in the same mess as before. After loosing everything I had, including my job, I was at the lowest part in my life. I felt that I had, had enough and just wanted to end it. I wanted out. I came home after a drug binge one evening feeling suicidal and told my mom that I was going to kill myself. She told me not to speak that way and that there was still hope for me. She told me that Jesus could set me free and that I should just call out on His name. I told her that I was bad person and that there was nothing that Jesus could do for me.

Because I had nothing to lose, I called out on the name of the Lord and asked Him to help me with my addiction. I told Him that I did not want to live this drugged out life anymore. After doing that I just burst out into tears and felt a heaviness lifting from my shoulders. Ever since calling on the name of Jesus I’ve been drug free. I’ve been clean and drug free for just over two years now and am not looking back.

Now I am a drug counselor and am working for a wonderful organization that works with drug addicts. I saw the need out there with the drug problem and have decided to offer up my life to help others that are going through what I have been through with this evil drug.


No comments: